Building the Eyelet Board, Day 2

Though I checked three times, when I came back to the board Sunday morning I saw that I had two adjacent ground wires connected one eyelet from where they should be. I quickly changed that. Can you spot what was changed below? The answer is in the green wires.

IMG_4874

With that corrected. It was time to populate the top of the board. Before starting, I test and lay out all the resistors and capacitors in order of installation. IMG_4861

I haven’t built an amp for a few years, so I’m a bit rusty with soldering and such. I made some mistakes to begin with. Here are couple tips: 1. Trim your leads long. 2. Place everything on the board top and bottom before ever adding solder.

I had soldered the bottom of the board and then started to add components to the top. Doing it this way I had to remelt the existing solder. My leads became bent and the job looked messy. I eventually got frustrated and used desoldering braid to remove the old solder. This posed a new problem because I’d already trimmed the excess leads of the back of the board and the ground wires fell out when I flipped the board. Live and learn…then forget until next time.

Anyway, I started with the right side of the board and worked left. I was a bit sloppy at first,  but I got better and neater as I went. Below are a series of pictures showing the work. IMG_4862IMG_4867IMG_4868

With that done, I added the flying leads and soldered all in place. With the brain of the amp built, it’s time to move on to the body.IMG_4869

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s